"I know taking on the ATO can be stressful and expensive. I will not shy away from a fight with the ATO, but I will also identify alternative, and sometimes more effective, options to get my clients the most favourable results."
David Hughes is an Accredited Tax Law Specialist (one of only 5 in QLD), Chartered Tax Advisor and Partner in charge of the Tax & Revenue department of Small Myers Hughes.
Utilising his 20 years of experience David acts for tax payers from large corporations to SME’s, and individuals. His close working relationship with accountants, financial planners and other tax experts enables him to find the most effective solution for SMH clients.
David’s direct intervention with the ATO has often resulted in a quick and inexpensive resolution of what could otherwise be a lengthy and expensive court case. Where the ATO proves intractable however, he will litigate where necessary and has successfully run appeals in the High Court, Federal Court and Full Federal Court and the Administrative Appeals Tribunal. His philosophy is that litigation should be the last not the first resort, as is demonstrated by many successful outcomes won both in and out of court.
David is frequently invited to present for conferences and to contribute submissions to the Inspector General of Taxation and the House of Representatives Revenue Review Committee, and is on the QLD Law Society’s Representative to the ATO Legal Practitioners Round Table Forum.
David’s Qualifications & Associations include;
- Accredited Specialist – Taxation Law.
- Masters of Laws (Taxation); 1st class honours, University NSW
- Bachelor of Laws and Commerce, University of QLD
- Admitted to practice as a solicitor in 1998.
- Chartered Tax Adviser
- Member of the Queensland Law Society Revenue Law Committee.
- Member of the Legal Practitioners / ATO round table panel.
- Fellow of the Taxation Institute of Australia
- Doyles Guide Leading Tax Advisor 2015